Monday, March 8, 2010

Japanese food and Who God Is.


I am beginning to feel like blogging again, especially after reading some of the blogs that I follow. Hilarious stuff! It's like reading newspapers that are very, very personal and interesting. Kitchen remodels, neighbors who are growing marijuana, adventures with IVF, attending basketball games and getting your picture on the Jumbo-Tron when OF COURSE it's your first day without contacts...wearing your glasses...in a long time...man, who knew the world of blogging would bring me such adventure? I may be sitting out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a tiny little island but my world is larger than ever!

Yesterday my husband turned 30! He had a tougher time with it than I did! For those not aware, I am almost 4 years older than him. It works for us because he is the oldest of 7 kids and always had to be mature. I am the youngest of 6 kids and never really had to grow up. We had a full day of church, time with family and friends, and an all-you-can-eat amazing Japanese food buffet at a great new restaurant at Ala Moana. Even Mr. Picky Eater Samuel had plenty of miso soup, fried rice, and teriyaki chicken. And of course, the chocolate cake he snitched from the nearby plate of his Grandma when he thought she wasn't looking. Miss Eats Everything In Sight Olivia kept food entering her mouth for the entire 2 hours we were there; miso soup, sushi, mochi, mahi fish, bean sprouts, shaved ice. It amazes me that she is only in the 50% percentile for weight while Samuel is always in the 90% percentile with his normal diet of goldfish and chocolate pudding. I don't get it!

Olivia showing her "Japanese eyes"; happy with a full tummy.

Pardon the food still on her as she hams it up for Mommy.

The balloon was for another party, but weirdly appropriate that it was right behind Birthday Boy! Look; the same cheesy grins....

Oops, never mind...not totally full tummy...I spy a little hand trying to get to my mango/strawberry shave ice dessert!


Aahhh, cute kids! Samuel, Texas Butler, Olivia (STILL food on her face!?) and Jayda Butler. Pretty sure we'll have a Samuel/Jayda or Olivia/Texas wedding in 25 years...ha...

I can't finish this blog without mentioning the sermon that my pastor preached yesterday about the Scripture Exodus 3:14, where God tells Moses "I AM that I AM." That is sometimes a little confusing to us, in our modern English language. "I am...what?" But if you research the Hebrew meaning of this phrase, you find pages of definitions that at first is more confusing; ways that this phrase has been interpreted. "I AM...Healer. He who is. Provider. Around. He who has gone before. Present. Savior. Father. Comforter. Spouse. Arm of Strength. Fortress. Safety. Counselor....the list goes on and on. You might think; "Well, what IS He? What IS the 'I AM'? The answer is; He is whatever you need Him to be, whenever you need Him. Do you need Him as a Father specifically because you don't have an earthly dad (or the one you have is lacking)? Then He is your Father....and etc.

Anyway, I probably can't communicate it the way Pastor Sanders did, but it was powerful. I've needed God in so many different ways throughout my life, and right now I need Him as a Comforter. Someone to wrap His loving arms around me and just carry me through pain and heartache. And....that is what He is to me. My Shelter, my Comfort, my Strength.

Whatever you are facing right now, let Him be exactly what you need right now. He IS....whatever you need Him to be.

3 comments:

  1. Soooo cute of the kids and Elton's bday. I love the pics! They are so precious.

    And I LOVE the God is... part. That is FABULOUS! What a wonderful message that must have been. I'm needing God to be many things to me right now. So glad He is!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't do so bad with 30...but 31, that was another story. Take him away so he doesn't think about that bday next year. Ah ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are SO cute!

    Aren't you glad that God is whatever we need Him to be and that he can be one thing to you and another for me? Wow! God is AMAZING.
    Love you and am praying for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete