Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Baby, her Mommy, and a Miracle.

This blog post is dedicated to a little angel baby, who gave up her life but in doing so, saved her mothers.

Late Tuesday evening, a family in Maui were on their way home from a party where they had shared food, laughter, and fellowship with the other members of their church. Mike and Tiana, who was 7 months pregnant, and their 5 young children, had been attending the church there since May 2009; not even a full year. But their faith has been strong and they fully trust in God and have been thankful to Him for turning their lives around.

On this Tuesday, the roads were wet and what was normally a routine drive home on familiar roads became a horrific scene as Mike lost control of the truck. Hydoplaning, they skid out before rolling over about three times. When they finally landed and the rescuers came, the children were miraculously fairly well with the exception of the 3 year old girl with a broken wrist. Mike received injuries to his leg, but he could not take the time to dwell on his own injuries, because his pregnant wife Tiana was obviously fighting for her very life. At the hospital, it was just a few hours later that the medical team realized that the unborn baby no longer had a heartbeat. But in their desperate attempts to save Tiana’s life, removing the baby was not a priority, although they didn’t understand the significance of this decision at the time. Tiana had head lacerations, major internal organ damage, a shattered pelvis, and many more wounds. The bleeding would not stop and she received over half a dozen blood transfusions. Not an ounce of her own blood remained in her battered body. She remained in surgery on Maui while frantic doctors did everything within their power to stabilize her. Meanwhile, doctors and nurses were mystified at the loud roar coming from the waiting room; it sounded like a riot of people, out of control. Someone finally told them that it was not a riot; it was members of Mike and Tiana’s church, who had taken over the waiting room and transformed it into a prayer room, where they were unabashedly crying out to God at the tops of their voices. The Coast Guard was called upon to send a helicopter to transport her to Oahu, where she could be seen at the major trauma center for the entire Pacific area; Queens Medical Center. Finally, about 18 hours after the accident, she was successfully transported to Oahu.

Mike, still wearing the clothes he’d had on during the accident and refusing medical treatment for his leg, left his children in the loving care of friends and family members and came with his wife. Church members on Maui, Oahu, and the mainland were bombarding heaven on their behalf. Tiana, however, was not expected to live.

At Queens, this time late Wednesday night, Tiana again returned to a cold steel operating room table and was under the desperate hands of worried doctors, who were trying everything within their power and knowledge to save her. Her sweet baby remained inside of her, and it was beginning to dawn on the doctors that Tiana should already be dead. The combination of injuries that she’d sustained, the loss of blood, the amount of time that had passed since her accident….it all added up to the medical reality that Tiana was inexplicably alive. And then the mystery was solved; her unborn baby was keeping Mommy alive. Although the baby had died hours after the accident, because of its size, weight, and location it was putting just enough pressure on certain injured areas….stopping certain amounts of bleeding….keeping just the right organs from shutting down completely. From the time of the accident to nearly 24 hours later, she had sustained her mom.Even in her death, that baby girl was working hard. In fact, in her brief time on earth she did more for her mother than some people will do in their entire lives; and all without her taking a single breath.

An obstetrician was summoned and when the medical team was ready, the baby girl was removed by caesarian and the team began to work on saving Tiana in the way that her baby had already been doing. In her own way, she had shown them what to do and thankfully they learned enough from her to continue her task.

When the OB doctor came and relayed this information to Mike, Mike revealed that he and Tiana had already privately decided on their unborn baby’s name, long before the accident. He allowed his wife’s mother to gather everyone together in the waiting room and make the birth announcement for her precious granddaughter. She spoke of how God’s ways are mysterious and yet perfect, and although we cannot understand it, God arranged for that baby girl to exist for the reason to save her mom, and that now Praise Marie Mose (Moz-ay) was with her Creator after having done her job.

With Tiana still on the operating room table, Praise Marie was carefully wrapped in a blanket and given a soft baby hat. Mike was led to a private room and allowed to meet his daughter. After some time alone, he asked that everyone else be brought in, a few at a time, to meet her. I walked in with my pastor. He knew I was struggling with the decision to see this baby, in light of my recent and still-painful miscarriage. Something inside of me drove me to that room and to that baby, although most people may never understand why I wanted to do this. I saw Mike, tenderly cradling a precious and adorable 4 pound little girl. She had rosy skin, dark hair, and perfectly formed features. Long dark eyelashes softly touched chubby cheeks. Full lips closed in a peaceful expression.

My first feeling was, I admit, jealously. Mike was getting to hold his little girl, and I hadn’t been able to. Later, my husband confessed that jealousy had also been his initial reaction. We are, after all, only human. But instantly the jealousy turned to amazement. Adoration. Love. Awe. That little hero baby was gorgeous and perfect. It would be impossible to gaze upon her little face and NOT acknowledge the existence of a mighty God. Pastor and I wept as Mike softly whispered into his daughters face, kissing and nuzzling her as he told her to go find Ashleigh (Pastor’s daughter who drowned when she was 2), and Evangeline Joy, my own daughter. “You’ll find friends already,” he told her. “Cousins!” It was so sweet.

In that moment, I began to feel peace. Seeing Praise’s face put flesh and blood on the image in my mind, of Evangeline. I gazed at Praise and knew that without a doubt, those tiny souls were together with Jesus. I was actually looking at someone who already knew my baby girl. With tears I mourned again for my Evangeline Joy, but began to finally feel healing begin in my heart. I will see her one day. I will hug her. I will hold her. Until then, she is being cared for and although I will miss her for the rest of my life, I have Hope.

With the hospital's permission, Mike would be allowed to hold Praise through a long night, savoring every possible moment with her until the hospital would have to take her away and prepare her body for a funeral. I know that God was with Mike last night in that quiet hospital room. I will never forget that image in my head, of a large yet humble, gentle man, with a tiny blanketed still figure in his large arms. A Daddy so proud of his little girl that he couldn't bear to stop holding her. Praise certainly deserves every bit of love, recognition, and attention that she got through the night from her earthly father, even as her soul was already with her heavenly one.

After a little more time, Tiana was wheeled into ICU and the surgeon came to talk to the family. In short, she was stable. Of course she still has a long mountain to climb, and more surgeries to endure, but she was in fairly good condition after the long ordeal. Beyond any doubt, she is a miracle that medical science cannot accept credit for. Although it is through the care and expertise of the doctors that she is alive and well, in the end the doctors could only do so much. Those of us in the waiting room know the reality; God in heaven has been in control the whole time, and in His infinite love and mercy He gave Praise to Mike and Tiana, and Praise saved her Mommy.

23 comments:

  1. Thank you Jesus, for Your ways are far above our own.
    You are beautiful beyond description
    Too marvelous for words
    Too wonderful of comprehension
    Like nothing ever seen or heard
    Who can grasp you infinite wisdom
    Who can fathom the depth of your love
    You are beautiful beyond description
    Majesty enthroned above
    And I stand, I stand in awe of you
    I stand, I stand in awe of you
    Holy God to whom all praise is due
    I stand in awe of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are God alone...from before time began...You are on your throne. YOU Are God alone....
    Unchangeable...Unshakable...Unstoppable....
    That's what you are<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What an incredible story. So sweet and yet so sad at the same time. So glad that God knows what He is doing. xoxo love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahalo for such a perfect post on this Miracle...unfolding before our eyes. Jesus has his angels watching over this family. Today while I prayed for Tiana, my mind reflected on that night...I had not come to know this family until Bro Mike offered a seat next to him & his wife. I watched their children play - watched Tiana compete in a music game - laughter filled the air as we enjoyed the fellowship.
    "Angels, from Praise Marie to every angel we encounter, to every angel that visits us unawares...we are a Blessed people to have a God who is Alive & Well!
    Mahalo again for sharing your heart beat, Sis Panui Shepard Maui Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your post on FB about the tears and the need to read the blog to understand.
    I now do, so understand.
    It's a little hard to read through a veil of tears, but worth the effort. This story truly touched me.
    Unfathomable are His ways, yet perfect all the same.
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So touching, this is AMAZING!!!!! *hugs* thanks for posting this SoShawna! -C.Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Through my tears i read a story a beautiful one at that of perfect love and ultimate sacrifice! I have rewritten my post several times as i struggled with what to write... The author who wrote this captured this moment with such tenderness and love even during this trying time I could sense the love and peace of God! God is in control and though we may not know the reason or see the purpose that God is a loving and a caring God.. HE Will never leave us nor forsake us.. he loves us and taked care of his children!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing, what a precious bittersweet story... My heart aches for you and for Tiana. So thankful for Gods love, protection and grace - Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have recently lost a loved one only 16 months old. Your story touched me deeply, and I will pray for you. Thank you for your story, I needed to know that others have faith that we will be with our loved ones again. It's been 2 weeks to the day I lost my dear boy and I think this is his sign that our faith is not in vain. I send you love and peace, thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful story SoShawna. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. bitter sweet story . Tiana our prayers are with you and your family may god put his hand upon you and and nurture you for a speedy recovery . Bro Mike be strong put your faith in the lord and he will prevail ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible story. Artfully written. I was deeply moved. Keep writing, Soshawna! We love you and Elton!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SoShawna,
    I cried as I read this amazing story. God is so good and knows what we need before we even ask for it. Thank you Jesus for Praise and for what she was able to do for her mommy.

    I am thinking and praying for you my friend.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soshawna,
    well written and definitely touch my heart. Thank you JESUS for Praise and all things happen for a reason. They will continue to be in our prayers. HE is in control. Soshawna may GOD bless you abundantly and knows the desires of your heart.
    Sis Kaliko (Lahaina, Maui)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you to everyone for your comments. Tiana is still in much need of prayer as she is still in critical condition. God is in control!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Update: She is responding to her doctors, moving her toes & squeezing her hands...Glory to Jesus, Keep them Prayer Wheels turning!!
    Aloha Sis Panui

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will miss my niece, but God's will be done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A heart-felt Blog! It surely hits home to the ones that can truly relate on losing a child. I'm sure my niece Praise is alongside with her Heavenly Father and her cousin Angel!! We're blessed with our own personal Angel up there, looking down on us.
    Tears wouldn't stop falling when I read this Blog. Soshawna ~ God bless you!! We serve an awesome God!! To my brother Michael & sister Tiana...P.U.S.H!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much SoShawna for such a beautiful account of God's movements! I am one of Tiana's cousins that was there that first crucial night in Honolulu. I too had the most amazing pleasure of holding angelic baby Praise Marie. Thank you for reminding me of the bitter sweet memories of that night. The sweet, sweet, spirit of the Lord whispered to all of us, reminding us that His will be done. He also guided the eyes and hands of those medical personnel who fought to save our precious loved ones. Praise the Lord for He is good, all the time! If we step back and look at all that's happened since last wednesday evening, we realize that many more miracles were born as a result. Can you imagine how many people were all connected together in prayer all across the land and seas? The power of praying cannot be denied. Thus, the unexplainable medical assessments. Even those who do not usual pray (as I have heard some accounts), were on their knees praying. Thank you SoShawna for sharing your account. Our family thanks you and all of Tiana and Mike's church family for your love and support but especially for your prayers.

    As of today, she looks so much better! Praise God! She's getting stronger each day. Please continue to pray for her physical, mental, and spiritual recovery. She's still got a lot of ground to cover, but with all the support and love and your prayers, the hills won't be as steep!

    Fa'afetai tele lava (Thank you very much)!

    God Bless!
    L.Mose

    p.s. Your children are so adorable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This story was soo touching to me..I know that God is truly an awesome God..In my prayers I will keep Tiana & family..and in the loving arms of God will baby Praise lay peacefully knowing that she did something very special & miraculous here on earth..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all for all the prayers for my dear cousin Tiana. and Rest In Heavenly Peace baby niecey Praise Marie.

    God bless always!!!
    H.Mose

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you to Tiana's family for the constant updates. Our prayers and love are continually with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tiana Marie Mose-LaupolaOctober 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM

    hellooooooooooo to u soshawna..... This is I Tiana Mose Laupola who is currently on Maui and continuously serving our God the Almighty.... Thank you guys all sooooo very much for your prayers Michael is such a blessing and soooo helpful...I made a BESTESS now....her name is Stephanie Boteilho.. She is the most awesomest frend I cud ever have knowing I lost my BESTESS durin my accident. I was tooo sedated and when I work up about 2 months after I lost my bestfrend....So now she is with her neice Praise and her son Angel.... Thank u all... I will be on Oahu in November for my appt... Oh yeah and guess what???? I am WALKING...doctors said I wud never walk again. I have so much to share with you so u can write a bigger testimony on how many miracles God has done in my life till this day........ Thank you all soooooo much... THANK YOU JESUS.... HE DIED FOR US now LETS LIVE FOR HIM.....

    ReplyDelete