Saturday, January 23, 2010

Prayers for Samuel's Bride



My husband’s cousin is getting married tomorrow, and has asked my son to be her ring-bearer. It is his first wedding! Today at the rehearsal, we had him practice going up the aisle, cradling his pillow, over and over. He’s three, after all, and a bit on the hyper side normally. So you can see why we insisted on the practicing! But he performed like a champ and all fingers are crossed; if he does the same tomorrow then his first wedding participation will be a success. His mommy has her fingers AND toes crossed!

Samuel and Bride Keri at the rehearsal brunch.


Samuel in place (after handing the pillow to Seth!). On the right is Miles practicing "getting" Keri from her dad. Look at the love on his face...awwwww!

Being an emotional Mommy, I will probably cry as I watch him come up that aisle in his black tuxedo, complete with tie and a fuscia silk pocket square to match the bridesmaids. It will be my first time to see him coming up a wedding aisle in a tuxedo, but hopefully it will not be his last! I’m sure the tears will blur my eyes, and in that moment I will not see an impish three year old ring bearer…but a grown man who is a nervously excited groom. One day I will once again be on the front row in a church hearing wedding music, but this time I won’t be biting my nails and praying that he won’t just happen to pick his nose and decide to taste the salty delights discovered on his stubby fingers. I’ll be watching a youthful man taller than me and praying that God will pour out His blessings as he recites eternal wedding vows.

Speaking of praying for God’s blessings for that day, I’ve always thought those prayers should begin now. When my children are babies. My parents always taught me to pray for my future husband, whoever and wherever he might be. I did so; throughout my childhood, teen, and single adult years. When I met the man of my dreams and married him, it became clear that there were certain times in his life that were surely a better result or protection because of those prayers. Say what you will; prayer works! And why not pray earnestly for years about something so vitally important as the future marriage of your children?

So today during the wedding rehearsal brunch, the mother of the groom stood during all the speeches. My eyes began to automatically fill; after all, I am a Crier. Funerals, weddings, births…if I don’t know the people involved I cry. If I DO know or am related to the people involved, I sob. Looking across the tables at Denise as she looked across the tables at her son, the tears began to sting my Crier eyes. One day, I thought, that will be me. I will stand there as she is, wishing my son the best as he sits beside a girl. Today the Mother of the Groom smiled at Keri, her son Miles’ bride, and told her that she’d written a poem for her as soon as she knew that Keri had told Miles “yes”. Those familiar with the popular Christian song will recognize the tune, but the words are for Keri. And as these words flowed in love from a son's Mother to his bride, it just reminded me again of the importance of praying for Samuel’s future bride. One day, with God's blessing, I will feel the same amount of love flowing from me to her.

Thank you to Denise for allowing me to reprint the poem here; may it bless my friends and remind all of us to pray for the spouse our children will select.

“Keri, Did You Know?”

With love and prayer always, from Denise Denardi (soon-to-be mother-in-law)
to Keri Tamanaha (soon-to-be Presnell)

Keri, did you know
That someone has been
Faithfully approaching the King
On your behalf?

Keri, did you know
That someone has been
Praying blessings over you
Throughout your life?

Keri, did you know
That someone has
Been falling in love with you
Over the years
As she prayerfully anticipated
The wife God has for her son?

Keri, did you know
That you complete
The secret desire of someone's heart
Besides Miles'?

Keri, did you know
That someone is me?



Flower girl Rachel leading Samuel back down the aisle.

1 comment:

  1. oh geez thanks. yet another prayer I need to add on jakes behalf at night. oh lordy. I dont know if I wanted to think about that just yet. ha. but samuel does look like such a little stud in the first pic! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete