Thursday, January 7, 2010

A New Year's Resolution....Sorta


As I sit here with a cup full of the last drops of my precious limited-edition Holiday flavored Kona coffee, I am mentally reviewing my day's "to-do" list and knowing I should gulp the coffee down, and get started on my day. I have a rule; I can sit and piddle around on the computer as long as there is coffee in my cup. And since I don't like cold coffee, I don't usually piddle too long. (By the way, is "piddle" a proper word? My mom has always used it, so I guess if a parent uses it then it's a Real Word). But sometimes, the "to-do" list seems so overwhelming that the coffee is made to last as looooooong as possible!

I have an internet routine; check email and answer the urgent ones. Glance at the Yahoo headlines. Check out the MSN and CNN headlines to see if there is anything extremely important to know, rarely do I actually read anything interesting that isn't too depressing. (Yesterday's headlines, for example: Boy Stabbed In Brain With Chopstick. Shooting at Vegas Courthouse. Baby Given Away By Mother To Strangers. I mean, who really wants to READ these stories...??) Then of course, Facebook time. I quickly scan the latest status reports because my particular group of friends are known to share life-changing news this way, and I don't want to miss the latest "I'm pregnant!" or "We're moving to Alaska!" report just because it's mixed in with the Cafe World menu's and Farmville lost animals seeking adoption. After making sure I know who's pregnant and who's moving to Alaska, I update my own status if I can think of something witty. Otherwise, time to log off.

Everyday, I also check my friend's blogs and remind myself that I, too, have a blog but it just isn't updated very much! Even though I put the blog address on my Facebook page so that I'll be more motivated to update it, knowing that other people may be casually checking it out. Sigh. But usually, my children are self-destructing at this point and I just get off the computer without visiting my blog page. UNTIL TODAY! I am determined to try to be a better blogger because it IS therapeutic to blog, and I really DO love doing it!

So, we'll see how this goes. Let me raise my now-empty coffee cup in a confident toast to the New Year, a more frequently-updated blog, and Lord knows...many more days of less-depressing news headlines in the future!

The picture, by the way, has nothing to do with the topic of this post, but I just really like it and wanted to post it for my own viewing pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. well, here here and a raised cup to your new years resolution! It's about time, so says your blogging friend! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete