Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Want Your Opinions, Ladies!

I woke up this morning, bright and early, with so much on my mind.

Not an infrequent occurrence! Just a little annoying, knowing that I COULD sleep an additional hour since Olivia was still asleep and the bed was warm and comfortable. But you know how it is, once you are wide awake and your brain is in motion.

Besides all of the details and obligations of my daily life, there are two things I thought I'd discuss on my blog today. Mostly because I want input from my friends via my blog / Facebook page!

Idea #1) I have a lot of possible sewing projects in mind, mostly involving "recycling" current clothes. I really think it would be fun to redesign and embellish some of my closet items... things I'm tired of wearing or are minimally damaged in some way but still potentially useful. One of the things I'm hitting a creative wall with is my Old Navy jean jacket. It's a regular denim jacket that just seems boring to me right now, and I'd love to cut, sew, embellish, etc. to make it cute! NEED IDEAS with this! I've seen shabby chic designs with lace/fabric but I'm not a really lacy person. Should I add leather elements? Cut out a design like a flower or guitar and add to it? Sigh...here is a picture of the jacket. GIVE ME IDEAS PLEASE!

Idea #2) For years upon millions of years, I've wanted to write books and there are countless ideas of novels bouncing around in my brain. I have character names, plots, and outlines. One of these days, something is going to take shape enough to make it onto paper and into reality! Since my first pregnancy, I have devoured all the pregnancy books possible. Everything from sterile and somewhat boring medical books with interesting pictures of the developing fetus and not-so-interesting facts about the chemical content of amniotic fluid, to the books containing horrendous details about everything that could possibly go wrong during your pregnancy, to the books about experiencing a painless childbirth while gently breathing and delivering your baby in the calm water of a bathtub, to the light and funny book from a former Hollywood model who gives advice about shaving your legs while 9 months pregnant to how soon you can return to teetering on spike heels once you push the baby out.

All very interesting, but I've thought that it would be neat to write a book about pregnancy for Christian women. Something containing a little interesting medical fact, a little personal experience with a lot of great stories from friends, and then a weekly devotional corresponding to whatever stage of development the baby is experiencing.


Adding a Christian-focused book to the pile?

I don't know if there would be a market for this or not, but I think there may be; especially if the book was marketed toward Christians with the devotional, and instead of recommendations about how quickly a woman can return to consuming alcohol and clubbing, there would be advice about finding modest maternity clothes.

IF I decide to pursue this endeavor, it would crucial for me to have a network of my Mommy-Friends for me to use a a 'panel' for information, birth stories, hints and ideas, etc.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks for your input....!!!


5 comments:

  1. Momentarily, little 'blessings' haven't arrived in my scene..however, if/when the time approaches I would devour a Christian based book on pregnancy, etc. I read parenting books now, (in fact i just returned with one from the book store! lol) perhaps in preparation but also bc i feel i have a duty to understand the parents of whom I am honored to pastor their children. A dear friend of mine has told me repeatedly not to read that 'what to expect when expecting' just yet. She says that somethings can evoke fear where their needs to be joy. So I have refrained from that particular one. I desire to understand ppl, i wd jump at the chance to read one so i cd have a greater depth of knowledge. Go for it girly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that last comment was from me, April Ridgel..not sure what to select on the 'preview'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea and I believe a need. Go for it!! I would totally love to be part of the panel if you need it.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes yes a prego book would be fab! You should do it from different perspectives though, like one chapter on the first trimester cravings *ahem!!* and then have several people tell their stories, etc. That would be fun plus helpful!

    Ok the jean jacket...hmmm. I think it looks great the way it is, I like plain jean jackets, but a ruffle on the bottom maybe of black or navy jersey knit and then add at cute little brooch or chain with a charm? Sorry, I'm bad at that. Ohh...wait do a felt flower! I'll help you that's super easy! :)

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. for the jean jacket, you might could change the buttons, or add embellishments to the pockets. I wear a different broach with mine to change it up.

    As far as the Christian themed pregnancy book goes...it will totally go. I mean, if these Christian themed fitness/diets books, cds, dvds are taking off, then your idea will too!!! I would read it for sure! I love cute little christian mommmy devotionals, so one that has to do with pregnancy would have been right up my ally when I was expecting! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete