Saturday, February 20, 2010

Going Green Or Something Like That


Reconstructed? Recycled? Refurbished?

Looking for the right word here...somebody help me out! I'm using clothing and materials that we have; that are old, worn, etc. and restyling them into something else. I think some people would say it's a step toward 'going green' by not wasting stuff and not buying new things....sorry, I'm not as 'earthy' as some of my friends but I get the point of it all. I really like the idea of being creative with what I have and finding new purposes for old things. And I like that line so much I'm going to type it again just because it's my blog and I want to see that phrase again: Finding new purposes for old things. Don't you just love words?

Whatever it's called, it's really fun! Today I managed to complete two neat sewing projects and I can't wait to see what people say about them!

Here's the pair of used blue jeans that was the basis for my projects:


I've seen little jean purses made out of pants like this before, and since I wanted to practice sewing with denim I thought I'd give it a try and make a little purse. Here it is!


I lined it with patriotic-ish material just because I prefer the lined, finished look for this. I LOVE the little front pockets that will be great for cell phone, etc. It turned out to be a cute hobo-ish clutch size purse, I think! Here's the inside and back:



I thought about 'blinging' it up with studs or something, but on second thought I like it the way it is...so I'm leaving it.

And the next thing was based on the pistachio bag seen in the picture here:



We actually got a bag of pistachios for Christmas and I LOVED the narrow little linen? Cotton? bag that they came in and knew I wanted to save it for a project down the road. So back to the pair of used jeans...I cut up one of the legs and used it to make a great little shopping bag, with the inner seams as the handles:



Here's the back, with the "Nutritional Information" section that was the back of the bag. Both of these sections are pockets for the front and back of the bag.


Maybe I'll keep these and use them for myself. Maybe I'll give them away...hmmm...but anyway, it was fun, I got denim sewing practice, I recycled clothing instead of buying new material so my carbon footprint is smaller (or something like that)...and my husband thinks I'm awesome :)

One of these days I'll be awesome enough to do amazing window treatments like the curtains that my friend Janelle did...you've got to check them out; click on her blog on the right of my page here...."Us Four And No More".

3 comments:

  1. Cute! I want to be able to sew something other than a straight line - like you!

    Thanks for the mention... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you could seriously sell these on etsy!! I'm not kidding! These are amazing! I'm totally shocked. I could NEVER do this. WHOOHOO good job, very impressed!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. the word you are looking for is "upcycled"...when you get something old or bland and make it nicer or into something cute.

    I LOVE your jean purse!!! My grandmother made me a one when I was in junior high. I had a red bandana tied around it like a belt. :) Your's is way cooler!

    ReplyDelete